Vitamin C for the skin!
If you have just started your skincare journey or are into the skincare game, you would have come across the Holy Grail ingredient Vitamin C, multiple times. But if you are yet to include a vitamin C product in your skincare routine, allow us to tell you why you should start using it ASAP! Vitamin C is considered legendary for its countless magical work! It has several internal benefits and if not more, it has equal skincare benefits. Vitamin C has antioxidants that are known to make your skin radiant and youthful. It helps in destroying the free radicles that are harmful to us and repairs skin tissues and produces collagen for healthy skin. Our body does not synthesize vitamin C and that is why we need to obtain it from outer sources, it is present in fruits and vegetables like lemon, orange, & broccoli but the amount of Vitamin C that we get from fruits and vegetables is not enough for our skin as it does not get stored in the body, we need to directly apply it on our skin in the form of creams or serums. Vitamin C skincare products are high in-demand these days. Vitamin C products aid the skin in fighting free radicals, UV damage, and exposure to pollution.
How exactly does it work for our skin?
Vitamin C is a powerhouse, it has so many skincare benefits that it is hard to choose just a few to add here. A skin cream rich in Vitamin C can bring those benefits to you. To list a few, following are some of the many benefits of vitamin C cream:
- Fights free radicals - Free radicals are atoms that can damage skin cells, and cause skin illness and signs of aging. Factors like stress, UV rays, sunlight, pollution, and other environmental causes create free radicals in the skin that damage our skin’s barrier, moisture barrier, hinders cell formation, and unevens the skin texture. Vitamin C being an antioxidant neutralizes these free radicals and protects the skin from getting harmed.
- Heals Sunburns - Vitamin C helps in replacing damaged cells with new ones and helps soothe sunburn. It helps in reversing sun damage. It also helps in reducing eye bags / dark circles by reducing their appearance.
- Reverses the signs of aging - Vitamin C helps in boosting collagen production. Collagen is a protein that makes your skin firm and tight. Your body’s collagen production decreases as you age and your skin starts losing its elasticity which results in sagging. Aging signs like wrinkles fine lines start showing on your face making you look aged and dull. Vitamin C is a natural collagen booster it helps in increasing your skin’s firmness and elasticity, texture, and health making you look young and beautiful. Applying Vitamin C regularly to your face helps in improving your skin’s production of collagen.
- Hydrates skin - Vitamin C and its properties have hydrating powers, it also strengthens your skin barrier, helps your skin in retaining the moisture for a longer time, and prevents dehydration from your skin’s surface. Hydrated skin is healthy & nourished that looks supple and feels soft.
- It brightens your skin - One of the most popular benefits of vitamin C is its skin-brightening properties. Environmental factors like UV rays and pollution, damage the skin and make it appear dull and tired. It has brightening agents that enhance the skin’s appearance by giving you an even tone and brighter complexion. Vitamin C skincare products are proven to be effective in brightening up the skin and adding glow to it.
- It replenishes Vitamin E - Vitamin E is another important antioxidant that protects your skin from sun damage. When your skin is exposed to sunlight, levels of vitamin E reduce. It has been found that vitamin C helps in regaining vitamin E in the skin.
- Heals wounds - Vitamin C helps in fastening the wound healing process and reduces the risk of scarring and infection.
- Reduces dark spots and hyperpigmentation - Vitamin C antioxidant properties also reduce dark spots and lighten hyperpigmentation. Vitamin C prevents the abnormal production of skin pigments to even out the skin tone and lightens dark spots caused by acne scars, and blemishes. Vitamin C is widely known for its antioxidant properties and has been considered to be a secret fighting weapon for all skin types by many experts. This nutrient boosts collagen and repair UV damage. Many dermatologists recommend using Vitamin C products in your skincare routine as it protects skin cells from environmental damage. Vitamin C has a plethora of benefits so now you must agree that adding it to your skincare regime is a win-win, but if you are not sure how to include it in your daily skincare? Keep reading to know how and thank us later.
How to add vitamin C to your skincare regime?
You get vitamin C from your diet however you can’t be sure that it is reaching your skin by oral consumption. To obtain better results it is advised to use Vitamin C rich skincare products that can be applied directly to the skin and get absorbed. A good vitamin C product that suits your skin can be added to your current skincare routine because they are gentle and suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin. Vitamin C’s effectiveness increases when it is combined with other antioxidants, such as vitamin E.
Combined, they provide double protection against free-radical damage and other skin-related issues. That is why you'll often get to see products made with the two antioxidants together, such as Glamveda Blush Vitamin C & E Day Cream. Vitamin C has been known to enhance the effectiveness of other ingredients also. It is the most effective when used with vitamin E. It works best when applied in AM than at nighttime. Therefore, the most suitable product is a light vitamin C day cream for face benefits, a light formulated cream is more beneficial as it will get deeply absorbed by your skin for a longer time and will keep the skin moisturized when regularly used.
Looking for vitamin C skincare products ?
Here is what to look for…
- The product should be packed in a dark container to protect it from light or sun damage.
- The container in which the product is stored should be an airtight container to prevent it from oxidization.
- To keep the ascorbic acid stable, a low pH should be maintained that can help the vitamin C penetrate the skin deeply.
- Product formulation with combined ingredients like vitamin E can improve the stability of the formula and work more efficiently for more benefits.
(Vitamin C products should always be stored in a cool and dark place to avoid contact with direct sunlight. The benefits of Vitamin C can only be reaped when it is stored in the right way otherwise it can lose its efficacy.)
Who should use Vitamin C?
Vitamin C protects the skin from many problems like sunburn, aging, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, sagging, dryness, and uneven skin. Anyone who is dealing with these skin issues can consider using vitamin C regularly. However, doctors state that it is a good idea to start using it even when you don’t have these issues. This ingredient is considered an effective anti-aging ingredient but the best time to wave off aging is before it occurs, right? Vitamin C is recommended for people of all ages and all skin types because eventually everyone suffers from sun damage, and this Holy Grail ingredient not only minimizes sun damage but also helps the skin in recovering from it. While Vitamin C neutralizes sun damage it is very important to use sunscreen with it. A good SPF is everyone’s friend and it should not be skipped in your daily routine.
We have answered some FAQs about Vitamin C and its usage, if you still have any doubts do not be shy to ask us.
Can retinol and Vitamin C be used together?
If you are using Vitamin C Day cream for oily skin and retinol together it won’t lose its efficacy, but, it can cause you skin issues like irritation, dryness, and sensitivity, which is not beneficial, and something we don’t want. Retinol helps in removing dead skin so it makes your skin barrier sensitive, it is best to use retinol at night and vitamin C works best when applied during the daytime. To get the benefits of both ingredients we advise you to use them alternatively in your AM and PM routine as long as you use SPF 50+ every day in the morning, your skin will be protected from sun damage.
How often should you apply Vitamin C in a day?
It is recommended to use Vitamin C once a day, by including it in your morning skincare routine. When applied in the morning it will help you achieve the most protection and benefit throughout the day.
Are there any other products that you need to avoid using while using Vitamin C?
The one ingredient that you should avoid using with Vitamin C is Benzoyl Peroxide. This peroxide can oxidize Vitamin C which reduces its benefits. If benzoyl peroxide is a part of your routine then you can still use it at night just not with your Vitamin C cream.
How long to wait after applying Vitamin C cream to use any other product?
It is recommended to wait for 2 minutes after applying any product so that proper absorption can take place and then you can continue with your following step.
Cutting the long story short…
Vitamin C is a multi-benefit ingredient worthy of a hero cape, so get ready to incorporate a non-toxic and organic vitamin C product in your skincare. Check out our array of products for the best Vitamin C & E for Indian skin. Glamveda product formulations are 100% Natural & Ayurvedic. Free from harsh chemicals, parabens, SLES, sulfates, and phthalates with no cruelty testing.If you liked reading this post then do share it with your friends and family, let them know the multiple benefits of vitamin C products so that they don’t miss this important information. Share it on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. If you have tried Glamveda Blush Vitamin C Day Cream, please share your experience with us and leave us your valuable feedback to help us serve you better in the future.